With an overarching goal of Connecting People and Communities, Buffalo Design recently presented three alternative plans at the first Magnuson Community Center Improvements public meeting. Working closely with City of Seattle Parks and Recreation staff and the Magnuson Community Center Advisory Committee, our team developed several design goals for the improvements, including:
• Create a welcoming, healthy place for people to gather, play and learn
• Support multigenerational and multicultural activities
• Provide access to activities for everyone in the community
• Create opportunities for casual interactions as well as classes and formal gatherings
• Incorporate a community kitchen
• Extend the welcome to the building exterior promoting the Center in the community
The 70 meeting participants considered all plans enthusiastically and provided valuable feedback and suggestions. One especially well-received idea was the community kitchen, featured in all three plans. Kitchen includes a demonstration island, and the space is designed with a moveable glass partition that opens the kitchen to adjacent activity space for community dinners and other functions where food is served.
The Buffalo team is currently developing schematic designs that will be presented at the next public meeting.